Meet Dr. Adam Summers
Adam N. Summers, M.D. is a board certified Diplomat of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, Inc. Dr. Summers is also a proud member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Dr. Summers graduated with Honors and Distinction in Research from St. Louis University School of Medicine. He trained in General Surgery and received specialty training in Plastic Surgery at the Medical College of Wisconsin, where he was the Chief Resident. Following his Plastic Surgery training, Dr. Summers completed a Fellowship in Microvascular and Hand Surgery with an emphasis on reconstructive breast surgery. Dr. Summers concluded his training in a Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship with Aesthetic Surgery Associates.
Since 1992, Dr. Summers’ graphic artwork has received national recognition and top awards at national conventions. In 1994, Dr. Summers’ artwork was awarded the prestigious honor of being placed in the National Library of Medicine. He has lectured at symposia around the country, where he has been responsible for training other physicians and healthcare professionals in surgical techniques. Dr. Summers has published many articles, won national awards and has held appointments as a Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery at both the Medical College of Wisconsin and the University of Maryland.
In 2000, and as featured in Anne Arundel Medical Center’s Vital Signs, Dr. Summers performed the first series of breast reconstructions using microsurgical techniques at Anne Arundel Medical Center. Dr. Summers has also contributed to articles in the Baltimore Sun and Washington Post as well as having being featured on Washington’s WUSA-9 News and Baltimore’s FOX-45 TV.
In 2002, Dr. Summers constructed the first true Medical Spa in the Mid-Atlantic region. His center has received numerous accolades and features a laser center, certified ambulatory surgery center, plastic surgery offices, dermatologic skin care and body treatments all in a spa-like setting.
Dr. Summers was one of the first cosmetic surgeons to introduce minimally invasive facelift techniques to the region. Dr. Summers is recognized both regionally and nationally for having developed a true One Hour Facelift procedure. And, using suture suspension techniques he helped develop since 1996, he has become THE leading regional expert in Threadlift facelifts. Dr. Summers is contacted regularly by patients throughout the United States seeking facial rejuvenation with minimal downtime and he is available to help patients dissatisfied with results of procedures they have obtained elsewhere. Additional information about Dr. Summers’ expertise in minimally invasive facelift and necklift procedures can be found by clicking here.
Dr. Summers is involved in on-going clinical research. Most recently, he was a clinical researcher in the FDA evaluation of silicone breast implants and he was the FIRST regional plastic surgeon to complete both the Mentor and the Allergan/Inamed Physician Certification Program for silicone gel-filled breast implants. He has participated in the on-going clinical evaluation of various injectable fillers and volumizers. He is one of only three doctors selected to participate in the FDA clinical trials evaluating ultrasonic fat reduction treatments. His current areas of interest include: developing new techniques to minimize the appearance of scars; refining non-invasive and minimally invasive protocols to rejuvenate skin; developing and evaluating skin care therapies to improve healing and enhance rejuvenation. Dr. Summers participates in clinical trials and is a principle investigator with Mentor Corporation, Allergan, and Alma Lasers.
Dr. Summers is widely recognized for his expertise at enhancing facial features with fillers. In fact, he was one of the only plastic surgeons in the region selected to participate in the Allergan “JET Study” to evaluate Juvederm prior to its FDA approval. And, as one of the only board certified plastic surgeons in the area focusing exclusively on cosmetic surgery, Dr. Summers performs thousands of cosmetic procedures each year, making him one of the top cosmetic surgeons in the region.
Dr. Summers has developed an exclusive medical skincare line. Based on his years of experience as a top skincare specialist and drawing from his background in biochemistry and physiology, Dr. Summers developed PureRx® skin care products, one of the first anti-oxidant skincare product lines with medical grade ingredients. To purchase the products on-line, click here.
Dr. Summers has received numerous awards and accolades. In addition to being named as one of America’s Top Physicians every year since 2002, Dr. Summers has been a multiple honoree for a Congressional Committee Physician of the Year award.
How Long Has Dr Adam Summers Been a Top Plastic Surgeon?
- Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship – 1999
Aesthetic & Reconstructive Surgery Associates
- Microsurgery and Hand Surgery Fellowship – 1998
Medical College of Wisconsin
- Plastic Surgery Fellowship – 1996
Medical College of Wisconsin
Trained in Hyperbaric Medicine
- General Surgery Residency – 1993
Medical College of Wisconsin
- Medical School – 1989
St. Louis University School of Medicine
Graduated with Distinction in Research
Graduated with Honors
- Undergraduate – 1985
University of Missouri
Dean’s Honor Roll
- Summers AN, Sanger JR, Matloub HM. Salvage of ischemic digits using a lateral arm fascial free flap. Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2001
- Yousif NJ, Matloub HM, Summers AN. The mid-face sling: A new technique to rejuvenate the midface. Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. November, 2002.
- Summers AN. Decontamination of the oral cavity – CME article. Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2001.
- Summers AN, Sanger JR, Matloub HM. The microarterial anatomy of the lateral arm fascial free flap. Journal of Microsurgery. 2000.
- Summers AN, Simpson D, Redlich P, Rinehart GC. Acquisition of surgical skills: A randomized trial of traditional versus media teaching. Journal of Surgery. 1999;126(2):330.
- Tse DG, Summers AN, Sanger JR, Haasler GB. Surgical treatment of tracheomediastinal fistula from recurrent Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
- Summers AN, Larson DL, Edmiston CE, Radke L, Denny AD, Gosain AK. Efficacy of preoperative decontamination of the oral cavity. Abstract in: International Journal of OMFS. 1999;28(S1):45.
- Rinehart GC, Rubinstein AJ, Summers AN. Teaching surgical knot tying and suturing by interactive compact disc (CD-I). St. Louis Metropolitan Medicine 18(10):October, 1996.
- Webber WB, Summers AN, Rinehart GC. Computer-based multimedia in plastic surgery education. Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 93:6,1290-1300, May 1994.
- Rinehart GC, Webber WB, Summers AN. Computer-based multimedia in plastic surgery education. Plastic Surgery Forum. 1992:291.
- Rinehart GC, Webber WB, Summers AN. Computer-based multimedia in plastic surgery education. Plastic Surgery Forum. 1991.
- Yousif NJ, Summers AN. Refinements in rhytidectomy: Eliminating Periauricular Incisions. Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- Summers AN, Rinehart GC. Efficacy of cd-i based multimedia teaching tools in surgical skills education. Journal of Audiovisual Media in Medicine.
- Rinehart GC, Summers AN, Rubinstein AJ, Luketich G. Teaching surgical knot tying and suturing by interactive compact disc. JAMIA.
- Summers AN, Rinehart GC, Weiland S. Computer based medical training: prevailing attitudes and expectations. Academic Medicine.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- America’s Top Plastic Surgeons. National Consumer Research Council. 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009.
- American’s Top Physicians. National Consumer Research Council. 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005.
- Physician of the Year Honoree. National Republican Congressional Committee. 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007.
- Honarable Mention. Eliminating periauricular rhytidectomy incisions. American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. 1999.
- Best Maxillofacial Paper. Efficacy of preoperative decontamination. International Conference on Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 1999.
- Best Scientific Paper. Salvage of non-bypassable ischemic digits. American Association for Hand Surgery. 1999.
- Awarded Permanent Display Status. Multimedia introduction to knot tying and suturing. United States National Library of Medicine. 1994.
- Awarded Honors in Research. Contemporary visualization techniques using microcomputers for research, design and education. St. Louis University School of Medicine Graduate Thesis. 1993.
- Awarded Best Presenter. Multimedia applications for medical practice. Multimedia Applications for Medical Practice. 1993.
- First Prize in Senior Research. Multimedia in plastic surgery education. Midwestern Association of Plastic Surgeons. 1992.
- Special Technology Award. High-technology in medical education. Alpha Omega Alpha Student Research Forum. 1992.
- Best Scientific Exhibit. Advancements in plastic surgery education. American Society of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeons. 1991.
- Best Scientific Exhibit. The 3-D hand: a multimedia educational tool. American Association for Hand Surgery. 1991.