Meet Dr. Michael Stefan
Michael Stefan, M.D. is a board certified Diplomat of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, Inc. Dr. Stefan is also a proud member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Michael Stefan, M.D. graduated from New York University with a major in both Medical Science and Art History. Four year later, he received his doctorate degree from the Medical College of Pennsylvania. After finishing medical school, he completed a General Surgery residency at Pennsylvania Hospital, the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. This was followed by a residency in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the University of Florida. He is also fellowship trained in Aesthetic and Breast Surgery, from Georgetown University Medical Center.
Dr. Stefan’s approach to aesthetic surgery is as unique as his background in both art and medicine. His training and passion for the Fine Arts served to refine his aesthetic sense. He is routinely singled out for natural surgical results and remarkable enhancement of patients.
Dr. Stefan is dual Board Certified by both the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is an active member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, and the American Society of Skin Care Specialists. He is also one of the few U.S. members (less than 500) of the prestigious International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS), comprised of the world’s most distinguished plastic surgeons.
Dr. Stefan recognizes the importance of patient and physician education. He has contributed articles to medical journals, co-authored book chapters, and lectured extensively on cosmetic surgery, patient safety, and newer frontiers in non-surgical techniques. He feels privileged to have had the opportunity to become a physician and has tried to give something back by sharing what he has learned. He is proud to be included in the Guide to America’s Top Physicians.
Dr. Michael Stefan has built a reputation as a gifted surgeon who is equal parts craftsman, physician and educator. Both patients and peers recognize his ability to create natural, beautiful results backed by the latest developments in medical research. His passion for his work derives in part from his enduring appreciation of beauty and fine art. In fact, before attending medical school, he studied Art History and Medicine at New York University. He draws upon his skills in both disciplines when performing cosmetic procedures. The natural results he creates reflect the principles of symmetry, balance, and proportion and an ability to see and enhance every woman’s beauty.
- B.A., New York University; Washington Square and University College of Arts and Science; Bachelor of Arts: Combined Majors of Biology and Art History; New York, New York, 6/31/1977 to 7/1/1981.
- Residency Training – General Surgery. Pennsylvania Hospital, University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia, PA (7/1/1985 to 7/1/1991).
- Recertification of the Cosmetic Surgery module for the American Board of Plastic Surgery’s Cognitive Examination 6/11/14.
- Diplomate of the National Board of Medical Examiners 7/1/86.
- Diplomate of the American Board of Surgery 2/11/93 (Non-Active).
- Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery 11/22/1996; Recertification: 4/1/2006.
- Diplomate of the American College of Hyperbaric Medicine Member #0283-09: 10/19/2009 to 10/19/2010.
- Certification Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Exp. 1/14.
- Gowen M.D., G., Delaurentis M.D., D., and Stefan M.D., M. Immediate Placement of Long Intestinal Tube in Partial Obstruction of Small Bowel. Contemporary Surgery, 32: 29-34, 1998.
- Stefan M.D., M., Holocomb M.D., G., and Ross M.D., A. Gastrocolic Fistula as a complication of Endoscopic Gastrotomy. Journal of Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition, Vol. 13, No. 5, 554-556, 1999.
- Chawdry M.D., R.P., Stefan M.D., M., and Cheronfsky M.D., M. Use of Vein Patch Angioplasty in Microvasular Tissue Transfers
Annals Plastic Surgery 24: 289, 1990.
- Sleater M.D., J., Beers M.D., B., Stefan M.D., M., Kilpatrick M.D., T., Hendricks Ph.D., J. Proliferating Trichilemmal Cyst; Report of Four Cases, Two with Nondiploid DNA Content and Increased Proliferation Index. Accepted for Publication in the American Journal of Dermatopathology.
- Spear M.D., S., and Stefan M.D., M. Stacked TRAM (Transverse Rectus Abdominus Flap) in Breast Reconstruction. Annals of Plastic Surgery 33:1, 1994.
- McCarthy D.P.M., G.J., Lindaman M.D., L., and Stefan M.D., M. Pedal Polydactyly: An Overview with Case Report. Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery 34: 6, 1995.
- Stefan M.D., M. Breast Reconstruction in the 1990’s: Overview. Polk Country Medical Bulletin, October 19, 1996.
- SCIOS.CE/DERMIK AESTHETICS: Advances in Reconstructive Options for Lipoatrophy; A Symposium of subdermal injection techniques. Loews Hotel, 1200 Market Street, Philadelphia, Pa., November 17, 2005.
- Stefan, M.D., M. Paoli Hospital Cancer Committee: Report on Malignant Melanom: DNA/RNA Transcription Process. Publication of Main Line. Health Cancer Services., May, 1997.
- Chapter: Breast Reconstruction with Expanders / Implants. Editors: Jurkiewicz M.D., M.J., and Culbertson M.D., J.H. Book: Operating Techniques in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Authors: Spear M.D., S., and Stefan M.D., M.
- Chapter: Breast Reconstruction with Tissue Expanders and Implants. Editor: Kroll M.D., S.S. Book: Reconstructive Surgery for Cancer Patients.
- National/Regional Presentations. Represented Artist in the Exhibition, “Medical Illustrations in Philadelphia”. Bryce Gallery, Moore College of Art, 1985.
- Foley M.D., M., Stefan M.D., M., Campbell M.D., R.E., and Malloy M.D., T.R. Radiographic Evaluation of Genitourinary Protheses Radiology 173 (p): 507, 1989. Scientific Exhibit: Presented at the Radiological Society of North America, Chicago, 1989.
- Gowen M.D., G., Delaurentis M.D., D., and Stefan M.D., M. Immediate Endoscopic Placement of the Long Intestinal Tube in the Small Bowel Obstruction. Scientific Exhibit at Clinical Congress of the American College of Surgeons, Chicago, 1985.
- Nini M.D., K., Stefan M.D., M., and Dietrick M.D., G. The Use of Expended PTFE Soft-Tissue Patch in Repair of Inguinal Hernia Repair
Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadelphia, PA. Scientific Exhibit Clinical Congress of the American College of Surgeons, San Francisco, 1987.
- Dietrick M.D., G., Kirkland M.D., M., and Stefan, M.D., M. A Three-Year Prospective of Acquired Hernias Repaired Using Ploytetrafluorolthylene Soft-Tissue Patch as the Biomaterials. Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadelphia, PA. Scientific Exhibit Clinical Congress of the American College of Surgeons, October 7-12, 1990.
- Stefan M.D., M., Butler M.D., P., and Caffee M.D., H. The Utility and Problems in using Brassiere Size in Augmentation Mammoplasty. Presented at Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Meeting. Amelia Island, Florida, June 7-11, 1992.
- Spear M.D., S., and Stefan M.D., M. Videotape Presentation: Breast Reconstruction with Anatomically Designed Lower Pole Saline-Filled Implants. American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Dallas, Texas, April 1994.
- Stefan M. D., M. and Temourian M.D., B. “Limited Incision Browplasty”. Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons, Quebec City, Canada.
- Stefan M.D., M. Reconstructive Principles in Cancer Management following Cancer Surgery. Cancer Education Conference, Mercy Hospital Medical Center. Des Moines, Iowa, May 22, 1995. Tower Medical Clinic, Des Moines, Iowa, October 2, 1996.
- Stefan, M.D., M., et. al. Multi-Physician Panel, American Cancer Society. Second Annual Breast Cancer Awareness Conference
Tower Medical Clinic, Des Moines, Iowa. October 2, 1996.
- Women’s Health Source: Second Annual Health Retreat. “Update on Aesthetic and Reconstructive procedures for the post- Mastectomy Patient”. Mainline Health Centers; Philadelphia Marriott West Hotel. February 5, 2000.
- Stefan, M.D., M. Scioto County Medical Society’s 40th Annual . PostgraduateTherapy Seminar – 2009.
- Stefan, M.D., M. Immediate and Delayed Reconstruction of the Partial Mastectomy Defect. Southern Ohio Medical Center; Portsmouth, Ohio. October 23-24, 2009.
- Stefan, M.D., M. Southern Ohio Medical Center Grand Rounds. “Cutaneous Melanoma”. February 19, 2010.
- Stefan, M.D., M., et. al. Southern Ohio Medical Center: Medical Imaging Seminar: “Radiographic Imaging of Silicone Gel-Filled Breast. Implants; Dilemma and Resolution”. March 27, 2010.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- New York University, College of Arts and Science: Phi Beta Kappa
- New York University, Founder’s Day Award for highest bracket of scholastic excellence.
- The Global Directory of Who’s Who – Lifetime Member, 2006
- Guide To America’s Top Physicians – Consumer’s Research Council of America; 2004–2006